Sunday 6 July 2008

I’ve just had twins – at the age of 70


A pensioner has become the world's oldest mother after giving birth to premature twins at the age of 70.
Omkari Panwar had a
boy and a girl by caesarean section after having IVF treatment so she could give her 77-year-old husband Charan Singh a male heir.
The couple, from Uttar Pradesh in north India, already have two grown-up daughters and five grandchildren.
Mr Panwar, a retired farmer, mortgaged his land, sold livestock and spent his life savings on the treatment that would allow his wife to conceive a male child – which is seen as highly desirable in Indian culture.
'We prayed to God, went to saints and visited religious places to pray for an heir,' he said.
'We kept no stone unturned and God has rewarded us. The treatment cost me a fortune but the birth of a son makes it all worthwhile. I can die a happy man.'
However, Guinness World Records staff might pause before entering Mrs Panwar's name – because she does not know her date of birth.
Her claim to be 70 is based on a memory of being nine years old when the British left India in 1947.
But Mrs Panwar says she is indifferent to any claims to record-beating fame.
She said: 'If I am the world's oldest mother it means nothing to me. I just want to see my new babies and care for them while I am still able.'

1 comment:

Isaura said...

O QUÊ?? AINDA FAZ SEXO AOS 70? HEHEHE, QUERO SABER QUAL É O SEGREDO...